April 1, 2023
Omaha Conservatory of Music’s signature Strings Festival is happening this spring!
This year we will be joined by acclaimed musicians Dr. Penny and Dr. Steven Kruse of Kruse Duo, Dr. Karen Becker (cello) and Nissa Evenson (fiddle). Strings Festival has something for strings players of ALL levels and is open to ALL students throughout the entire metro area.
Students will spend the day learning, making music, and having fun in classes and workshops tailored to their specific levels and abilities. And at the end of the day, all festival participants will play in the Strings Festival Concert!
Registration closes March 11, 2023!
MIN. PLAYING LEVEL:
- Suzuki Book 1, Sprout Level 5, or equivalent.
DATE/TIMES: April 1, 2023
- 9 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. – Student Festival
- 4:30 p.m. – Concert
- 6:30 p.m. – Professional Development
- Current OCoM Students: $25, Non-OCoM Students: $35
- Registration opens Feb. 3, 2023 and closes March 3, 2023.
- Lunch: $12. Students can pre-order a lunch that will be available to them at 12 pm during the lunch break.
- Festival T-shirt: $15. Festival t-shirts are an excellent way to remember your time at String Festival 2023. Order yours now, as they will not be available for purchase at the festival.
- Admission and any add-ons (t-shirt, lunch, etc) to any OCoM festival are non-refundable.
Concert Information & Tickets
Strings Festival Finale Concert
- Frontier Strings and all Strings Festival players
- April 1, 2023 at 4:30 pm
- Simon Concert Hall
- Tickets: $15
Festival participants will get the chance to showcase what they’ve learned when they perform with our guest artists at the finale concert, held that afternoon at 4:30 pm in the Simon Concert Hall.
Deadline to be considered: March 3, 2023
Participants notified: March 17, 2023
Participants must accept and submit music: March 22, 2023
A select group of students will have the special opportunity to work on a piece of their choice with our guest artists in front of an audience during the festival masterclasses. Students interested in being considered for the masterclass may submit a video audition link with their registration. The audition video should feature the piece the student would present in the masterclass and should be memorized. Applicants will be notified of their status by March 17, 2023 and must confirm their participation and submit a clean PDF of their score by March 22, 2023.
Friday, March 31, 2023
- 4:30 – 5:15 p.m. Penny & Steve work with OCoM Chamber Groups
- 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. Penny & Steve work with Frontier Strings
Saturday, April 1, 2023
- 9:00 a.m. Check In
- 9:30 a.m. Welcome & Intros
- 10:00 a.m. – 12 p.m. Masterclasses, Rehearsals, and Workshops
- 12:00 – 1:00 p.m. Lunch
- 1:00 – 3:00 p.m. Masterclasses, Rehearsals, and Workshops
- 3:00 – 4:00 p.m. Finale concert rehearsal
- 4:30 – 5:30 p.m. Concert
- 6:30 p.m. Professional Development: “How to Teach Practicing Effectively” with Penny & Steve Kruse
Strings instructors can join our guest artists Dr. Penny Kruse and Dr. Steven Kruse for a presentation on the best methods for teaching students how to practice effectively.
Dr. Penny Kruse is a Violin professor at Bowling Green State University in Ohio. She has also taught at William Jewell College in Liberty, and performed in numerous festivals across the country. Dr. Kruse is a member of the Violin Faculty at Eastern Music Festival in Greensboro, North Carolina.
Dr. Steven Kruse has more than 35 years of experience as a professional musician, educator, and arranger. Dr. Kruse has been principal Violist of the Kansas City Symphony, Kansas City Camerata, Windsor Symphony and Flint Symphony. He has performed as soloist with orchestras around the world.
This session is free to all community strings instructors, but does require registration in advance.
REGISTER FOR THE EVENT AND BUY TICKETS
Strings Festival Student Registration
Sat. April 1 9am-4pm
OCoM students: $25
Non-OCoM students: $35